Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fandom Free Agency - The Breakdown

It's officially underway. I've spent the last few days constantly looking for clues and reasons to root for one team or another. The Cavs are on TV all the time. My fantasy team is filled with Nuggets and Hornets. The first NBA 2k10 game I played was with the Warriors (don't ask.)

There's a hundred different reasons that I will or won't root for a team. In this post I'm going to lay out my basic criteria for choosing my new NBA team. This list is in no particular order...

1. Winning team - I'm not saying I want the Lakers but I would love to have a playoff team. The NBA playoffs are 2 months of non-stop action and I would love to have a dog in the fight. So, the team's record will certainly be a factor.

2. Players I like - KU players are a bonus. Guys like Ray Allen are fun to root for. MU players are a negative (although they're limited in appearances.) Guys like Stephen Jackson aren't as fun to root for.

3. Youth - I don't want a team that's old and going to change. I want a team that will be around for a while.

4. NBA 2k10 playability - I made the word up I think, but if I pick a team, I'm going to want to play with them on a video game. Trust me, it's important.

5. TV time - I haven't seen the T-Wolves play on TV since 2 years ago on KG's homecoming to Minnesota. I want a team that I can watch and evaluate for myself.

6. Proximity to home - This will have some factor. I'd like to root for a team close to KC so it's easier to watch a home game.

7. Fantasy team - Earlier this season I picked up Ryan Gomes just so I could have a Wolves player on my team. I'd like to be able to have a player on my team that I don't have to stretch for.

8. Financial situation - Money is very important in today's NBA. Especially with the upcoming free agency extravaganza. I want a team that will improve themselves. Not sell off players.

9. Olive branches - I've gotten a few already. Friends of mine want me to come over to their team. You want to bribe me, then go ahead. I'll accept it.

10. To be determined - I also feel free to add another distinction at any time. It's my fandom for heaven's sake.

So, tomorrow the elimination process will begin. We'll start to narrow down the field in hopes of finding the team for me.

Does anybody know if there's an e-harmony site for this sort of thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment