Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fandom Free Agency - #30 Washington Wizards

And so it begins. After crunching a few numbers today I have deemed the Washington Wizards as the hardest team for me to root for in the NBA. I'll even say that the recent allegations against Gilbert Arenas have very little to do with this decision, because the more things that come out the less of a big deal it seems.

I won't do this for every team but let's run through the criteria I laid out and use it to break down the Wizards.

1. Winning team - Nope, not at all.

2. Players I like - None. Jamison and Haywood - Two old UNC players, Butler - Once claimed he was the next Paul Pierce, Stevenson - Failed his SAT or he would have followed Paul Pierce at KU, Foye and Miller - Just remind me of the horrendous trade for the #5 pick last season, Arenas and Crittenton - Could be convicted felons by weeks end.

3. Youth - Not really, Nick Young is an OK player, but other than that nobody.

4. NBA 2k10 playability - Not the worst team here but nobody I'd love to play with.

5. TV time - None

6. Proximity - Nope, and even if I did go to Washington I'd probably prefer to go to a Capitals game.

7. Fantasy team - Nobody, thank god.

8. Financial situation - Could get better if Arenas is convicted, but currently the worst contract in the league.

9. Olive branches - I don't know any Wizards fans.

This wasn't really even all that hard, and like I said before, the recent gun allegations have little to do with it.

However, I will say this about it. I don't think the original altercation was a big deal, seems like Agent 0 was just joking around and the whole thing got blown out of proportion. I buy that it was a joke.

But, since the story came out Arenas behavior has been unexplainable. I already thought the guy was a lunatic, but now he's under investigation by the police and he's joking around about it?

His twitter rant made it seem like Stephon Marbury had hacked his account. (I'd link it, but he smartly took it down.)

His press conference arguments were childish.

And his stupid gun shooting pregame dance was like he was just asking David Stern to suspend him.

Truthfully though, I wouldn't have blamed Arenas if he did want to get suspended. That's why I'm writing this. I don't want to be associated with the Wizards either.

No comments:

Post a Comment