Friday, January 22, 2010

Fandom Free Agency - #26 New York Knicks

We have our second elimination via an elimination game.

Tonight, I gave the Knicks a chance to knock off the Lakers and a save themselves from fandom elimination. A tall task, no doubt, but it's no secret I don't like the Knicks and they needed a big time showing to stay alive.

The Knicks put up a fight holding Kobe to 14 points through the first 3 quarters and actually taking a 1 point lead into the 4th. But eventually fell to the Lake Show 114-104.

It would have taken a lot for me to pick the Knicks as my team. I view the Knicks as the Yankees of the NBA, the only difference is, the Knicks have a salary cap to deal with. Imagine how cash strapped the Yankees would be if they had to keep their high-paid, terrible players like Jason Giambi and Carl Pavano the way the Knicks had to keep Stephon Marbury and Eddy Curry.

The Knicks are far from the young team I want to grow with, and they don't even have a #1 pick this season. In fact, the Knicks are a perfect example of why it's odd for my to be doing this selecting during this season. Come next season the Knicks, like many teams, will look completely different from the team they have this year.

I like guys like Nate Robinson, Danilo Gallinari and David Lee, but really there's no guarantee that any of those guys will be on the team next season.

Sure, the Knicks may end up with LeBron or D Wade after this season, but that's what I'm picking on right now. I'm forced to look at their roster and see guys Jordan Hill, Jared Jeffries and Toney Douglas. Little hope for the future as far as I can see.

The Knicks have a ton of history, I'm not eliminating them because of their weak team name like the Raptors and Grizzlies. There's a lot to respect about the Knicks. I truly believe Donnie Walsh will turn them around one day, but I will not be rooting for them when that happens.

And the Knicks, like the Raptors, have the Isiah Thomas Era to thank for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment