Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fandom Free Agency - #19 New Jersey Nets

It really shouldn't have ever gone this far. This is one of those deals where I looked at the remaining teams and then immedeatly said, "Wait a minute? How did New Jersey make it this far."

I of course remember that the New Jersey Nets won a dramatic game of NBA 2k10 to keep them alive not long ago. But that win has apparently given the real life Nets absolutely no momentum at all.

The Nets are currently sitting at a historically bad 7-63 record and have already set an NBA record for most consecutive losses to start a season.

They're bad. Really bad. Historically bad. And for that there is really no reason for me to keep them around any longer.

I've been a Kansas City Royals fan all my life, and because of that I've seem some really bad sports teams. But a winning percentage of .100 is just beyond belief. Even more so, I see no redeemable qualities with this Nets team.

Former all-star Devin Harris is now a shell of his former self and a constant reminder that the Nets got way to little in return for Jason Kidd, who is now in Dallas making every player on their team better.

The teams best player right now is probably Brook Lopez, but have you ever heard Brook Lopez talk? Is there any way that you can take someone who wore a storm-trooper mask and said, "I feel like a 3-year old right now," and then trust that person to win in late game situations?

The answer is no, you can't, and that's why the Nets have won 7 games and have lost an unacceptably large amount of close games this season.

(This isn't even mentioning Chris Douglas-Roberts whose late game heroics I'm very familiar with.)

The Nets aren't completely hopeless though. They're getting a new owner who has been described as "The Russian Mark Cuban" and if nothing else they're young. Of their top 6 scorers the oldest one is Devin Harris who is only 27 and each of their top 10 scorers are all under the age of 30.

There's also hope for the future because they're terrible record makes them a strong favorite to win the John Wall lottery at about 25%. Add to that number that the NBA lottery is rigged and I'll go ahead and bump that number up to about 60%.

But if you think I'm hitching my fandom wagon to a team that only wins 10% of it's games, then you're about as crazy as Brook Lopez.


Confused Brook? I thought you might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment