Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fandom Free Agency - #18 Sacramento Kings

Prior to last night the Kings were teetering on the edge. As much as I liked and cheered for the Kings of the early 2000s the lasting memory of that team for me is Shaq continuously, and I mean continuously putting them in their place.

Then after spending this past weekend surrounded by happy K-State and Northern Iowa fans I wanted to punch out anything purple. I couldn't root for the Kings after a weekend like that.

Then last night happened. On the very same night that I wrote of the Nets for being a pathetic excuse for a basketball team, they went out and beat the Kings for their 8th win of the season.

The Kings started off this season as one of the league's surprise teams. Since then, they've dismantled the team, started looking like a team that will have a Top 5 pick again next year and then topped it off by losing to the Nets last night.

I've watched the Kings play a number of times this year in both the real world and the video game world and no matter where they're playing they really only have player who teams have to plan around.

Tyreke Evans has the ability to turn any game into his own personal lay-up line at any time but the players who usually surround him are Beno Udrih, Francisco Garcia, Andres Nocioni, Spencer Hawes and Carl Landry. If you looked at that list and wondered why you didn't recognize those name, it's because you shouldn't.

Carl Landry is a nice player, but he went from being a potential 6th man of the year in Sacramento to being the #2 option in Sacramento. The rest of the guys are nice role players, but hardly anybody that you have to game plan around.

And then there's the fact that Sacramento took the team away from Kansas City. Now, I'm not really bitter about that. I wasn't alive during any of the Kings years in Kansas City and I have no attachment to the team. But out of respect for my city I have to stand up for this sort of heist.

The name Kings still lingers as a Kansas City team name, along with the Royals and Chiefs, and the team does still choose to taunt KC by occasionally wearing throwbacks like these.

In the end, the Kings have just insulted me in two many ways. They wear purple, the left Kansas City and they made Scot Pollard go all the way to Boston to win an NBA title.

Just imagine what Pollard would do with his Kings ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment